I-485 Interfiling Process
USCIS urges eligible EB3 applicant to switch to EB2 or EB1 employment-based preference categories, because there is an exceptionally high number of employment-based immigrant visas available in these categories during this fiscal year (October 2021 through September 2022). Ref1 and Ref2 (see section "Transfer of Underlying Basis")
$0 (zero USD)
- Priority date must be current.
- If one has already made an interfiling request, USCIS recommends not to file the request again.
- NO new I-485 application is required.
- Other requirement: Check this link (see section "Transfer of Underlying Basis") for more details.
- Form I-485 Supplement J provided by the sponsoring/current employer. (the form can be filled in blue or black ink)
- Copy of applicant's I-485 Receipt Notice.
- Copy of Approved I-140 immigrant petition under EB2 category or pending I-140 receipt notice.
- Copy of Approved I-140 immigrant petition under EB3 category or pending I-140 receipt notice.
- Copies of biometrics receipt
- Form G-1145 for e-Notification of Application
- Letter of AOS Portability request by the sponsoring/current employer (this is required only if you joined a new employer)
- Recent paystubs from the sponsoring/current employer (last 2-3 months)
- Cover letter
Don't staple documents, use binder clip (smallest 0.6-inch clip) or paper clip.
Address to Send
Send your request to below address:
Attn: I-485 Supp J
U. S. Department of Homeland Security
USCIS Western Forms Center
10 Application Way
Montclair, CA 91763-1350
Only transfer requests accompanied by a Supplement J should be sent to the above address, and applicants should send no other forms, documents, or evidence to this address. However, USCIS will process written transfer requests submitted without a Supplement J sent to this address prior to March 4, 2022.
Employment-based transfer requests that are not accompanied by a Supplement J should be submitted in writing to the USCIS office with jurisdiction over your pending I-485 application. Applicants may determine the USCIS office with jurisdiction over their application by referring to any receipt or transfer notices they have received, or by reaching out to the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283.
Ref (see section "Transfer of Underlying Basis")
USCIS does not provide a written response to transfer requests. However, USCIS will issue receipt notices for the Supplement J.
EB3 to EB2 Interfiling - Single Cover Letter for Family
Generate EB3 to EB2 Interfiling Cover Letter with Barcodes, its FREE!
Can I interfile I-485 multiple time?
If the transfer request is granted, the applicant is not permitted to withdraw the request or request transfer of the adjustment application to a third basis at a later time except for possible transfers between the first three employment-based categories.
Ref ( see section: E. Decision on Transfer Request)
You May Need...Don't staple documents use
- Binder clips (smallest 0.6-inch clip) or
- Paper clips