I-765 and I-131 Guide, Renewal


AOS, EAD, and AP are acronyms related to the process of adjusting status for individuals seeking to become lawful permanent residents (green card holders) in the United States.

Table of Content

Here’s what each of these terms represents:

AOS - Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status refers to the process by which certain nonimmigrants in the U.S. can apply to change their status to that of a lawful permanent resident. It is typically done by filing Form I-485, the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

EAD - Employment Authorization Document

An Employment Authorization Document is a work permit that allows individuals in the U.S. who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents to work legally. As part of the AOS process, applicants may file Form I-765 to request an EAD, enabling them to work while their green card application is pending.

AP - Advance Parole

Advance Parole is a travel document that allows individuals with pending AOS applications to travel outside the United States and return without abandoning their AOS application. It is filed using Form I-131.

In the context of the AOS process, individuals often apply for both an EAD and Advance Parole simultaneously, often referred to as a “combo card” because it includes both the work authorization and travel permission. This combo card allows individuals to work in the U.S. and travel abroad while their green card application is pending.

In summary, AOS (Adjustment of Status) is the overall process of becoming a permanent resident, EAD (Employment Authorization Document) allows for legal work while the AOS application is pending, and AP (Advance Parole) permits travel outside the U.S. without abandoning the AOS application. The combination of EAD and AP on a single card is often convenient for individuals going through the AOS process.

AOS EAD/AP Renewal

Process to renew AOS EAD/AP.

EAD/AP Renewal Cover Letters

Generate EAD/AP Renewal cover letter with barcodes.

EAD/AP Combo Card

EAD Card Only

AP Card Only