After Green Card

After receiving original green card, make sure to do the following:

  • Review green card: Ensure your name, GC category code and A-Number is correct. The A# is identified on the I-485 Approval notice or Receipt notice. Also make sure your complete name is on the back side of the card.
  • Obtain an unrestricted Social Security Card (SSN): You will need to notify the SSA that you are now a green card holder. The SSA will issue a new card (the same number applies). See ssa site for more instructions and information.
  • Review guide for New Immigrants as well as visit the USCIS website for further information related to your permanent residence status.
  • Notify USCIS Change of Address: You need to notify USCIS if there is change of address by completing and submitting form AR-11. United States immigration law and regulations require all non-U.S. citizens (including those in visa status, pending AOS applicants or Permanent Residents, as applicable,) to notify the U.S. Department of Homeland Security of changes of address within 10 days of such change. Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of your stay in the United States.

Penalty: Failure to comply with the address change notification requirements may affect your (You (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice)) ability to remain in the United States and your ability to reenter the United States after travel abroad; noncompliance may also be criminally punishable as a misdemeanor, with a fine not to exceed $200 and/or imprisonment of not more than 30 days or both. Ref

  • Apply for Global Entry: Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States, more details. This is an optional program.


Can I change job immediately after getting Green Card?

Yes, you can. There is no such rule to wait for 180 days after getting green card, see this video. Also consult immigration attorney if you want.

Do I still need to file AR-11 (change of address) with USCIS?

Yes, all non-U.S. citizens (including those in visa status, pending AOS applicants or Permanent Residents, as applicable,) are required to report a change of address within 10 days.

I forgot to file AR-11 within 10 days, what I should do now?

You must file AR-11 immediately. If it is delayed further then it may cause issues.

How soon can I travel after receiving green card?

You can travel as soon as you get Green Card in your hand.

How long can a green card holder stay out of the country?

Your trip must be temporary and less than 6 months. If a Green Card holder remains outside of the United States for one year and one day during any trip, they are considered to have abandoned their residency and lose their Green Card and permanent resident status. ref

What countries can a US green card holder travel without visa?

North America

  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • US territories
Central America
  • Belize
  • Costa Rica
  • Panama
  • Anguilla (British Territory)
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Aruba
  • Bahamas
  • Bermuda (British Territory)
  • Bonaire (Dutch Territory)
  • Cayman Islands (British Territory)
  • Curagao
  • Dominican Republic
  • Sint Maarten
  • Turks and Caicos (British Territory)
South America
  • Chile
  • Peru
  • Albania
  • Armenia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Georgia
  • Montenegro
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
Middle East
  • Oman
  • Qatar
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Morocco
  • Malaysia
  • Philippines
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan